Archive for August 2011
Today the granite company came to pick up the extra piece of granite from the cooktop cutout to hone it into two serving boards. They sent four big guys…perhaps they heard I was unhappy about the faucet hole debacle and sent backup? Do I have a reputation? Awesome. They also filled the pits in the countertop. If I had known all I needed was a Sharpie and some Crazy Glue I would have done it myself.
The pendants arrived at State Electric on Tuesday. An electrician came by to install them today, on the first day I’ve locked the house in two months.
We’ve decided to put them on a dimmer switch, and we have a few other details to add, including window treatments and a pot rack to hang.
There are still a few minor punch list details (sealing the nicks on the granite and the grout on the replaced tiles, cabinet alignment), but tomorrow will be the first weekday in 61 days that I don’t have to be up and decent. And since we just came back from the ER with a croupy baby, we may just stay in our pajamas all day.
The tile installer came by to replace 3 of the tiles around the mosaic today, which I think improved the overall design. This is definitely a hindsight learning experience on tile installation.
Apparently, he was supposed to chisel it out by hand, and I had moved stuff out of the way for him to do that. He, however, went at it with a saw. This resulted in my kitchen, and really the rest of the first floor completely covered in a fine powder of carbonate minerals. I spent THREE HOURS cleaning cabinets, countertops, appliances, and everything that we moved back into the kitchen over the weekend. DAMN! The site supervisor called after he heard that the house was left like that and asked if I wanted him to send the painting crew over to clean (and that it should not have been done that way). I said no thanks, I was already on it. At this point, I’ve reclaimed my space, and only I can clean my antiques.
Between last Friday and today the window sconce was centered, refrigerator leveled, and paint and cabinet touch-ups finished. (Well, there are still some small ones, but I’m getting tired of pointing out tiny flaws when it’s easier just to do it myself.) If you want something done right…perfectionists’ creed.
It was determined that the stain on the floor is underneath the laminate coating and that it would look a lot worse to try to switch the board out for another one. It’s unfortunate that it wasn’t caught at installation. My recommendation here for future remodels would be to add a more formal QA process throughout the project at every major install point. I’m experienced with HACCP; I could do it for them.
One last change before we’re done. After giving much thought to the mosaic and having the designer over to take a look (who said she loves it), I’ve decided to have 1 or 2 of the cut pieces replaced with lighter tiles; since all of the cut pieces ended up being darker tiles, I think it draws more attention to them as a design element. The job supervisor should be here tomorrow to do that.
We were VERY happy to move back into the kitchen over the weekend and start using it. It took all weekend, but the space is set up, dishes are washed and put away, and we’re eating reasonably again. I made raspberry-blackberry jam this afternoon and am baking bread tonight.